Our History, Mission, and Values
Toward the end of Team Third Law’s annual Summer Camp Program in 2012 (check out NaplesBestSummercamp.com), Roberto Torralbas decided to test his kids academically to see how they were doing. This was meant to be a simple competitive activity, but that day would change the Team Third Law Martial Arts Academy forever.
When Roberto collected the summer camp kids’ papers he almost dismissed them, as it was supposed to be a simple, non-serious exercise. But as he looked at them walking down the hallway, he thought to himself: “Wait a minute this hand writing is horrible for someone in the fourth grade!” That’s when his curiosity peaked. He started testing them for math (multiplication and addition) and realized they were slow with simple math skills and used their fingers to count.
Our parents were stuck between a rock and a hard place… sick of providers who had no interest in improving programs. … Kids were getting bullied, wasting their time and learning bad habits.
At the same time, many parents who were dissatisfied with their current after school providers approached us to show us support if we decided to pursue the challenge of opening a better after school academy. Our parents felt that they were stuck between a rock and a hard place — They had grown sick of providers who had no interest in improving programs, which they had designed for the masses. In these programs, kids were getting bullied, wasting their time and learning bad habits, habits that their parents had fought hard to keep their children away from.
After having a conversation with his wife Katy Torralbas, Roberto decided he was all in. Both graduates from an Ivy League University, Cornell, Katy and Roberto realized that they had a lot to offer in terms of academic education.
At this point, Team Third Law Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai Kickboxing had been established in Collier County as the premier martial arts training academy for kids and adults.. The martial arts curriculum offers a gaiety of important lessons and courses, including:
- School Safe / Street Safe
- Character Development
- Bully-Proof Courses
- Important Conversations that prepare kids for the real world
Not only that, with martial arts classes being taught by World Champions and Pan-American Champions, it teaches kids top-level martial arts and athleticism that no other sporting camp, or athletic facility offers.
Third Law Martial Arts Academy is amazing place for kids to develop a “hard work triumphs over all” philosophy that will help them one day have amazing careers as professionals and/or business owners.
Focused on teaching kids to apply a go-getting philosophy of hard work and determination
When Roberto and Katy decided to open the Third Law After School Academy, they saw the opportunity to provide for kids an elite academic environment. From the beginning, Third Law’s After School Program has been focused on teaching kids to apply a go-getting philosophy of hard work and determination to succeed to their academic studies.
Of course, Third Law’s After School Program includes a great martial arts class, basketball, kickball, dodgeball, football and any sport one can think of, crafts, Legos, hot wheels, rocket-launching science projects and anything else a kid’s imagination can come up with … but all the students know, ACADEMICS COME FIRST!
After School Program Core Principles
- Prioritize homework getting done well, kids having book bags organized and developing habits that will last them a lifetime.
- No limits on children’s minds: If a child wants to challenge himself/herself and learn about the world at faster rate with the support and approval of their parents, we help the kids learn above their grade level by 1-2 grades.
- Emphasis on foundations: To understand advanced concepts, kids often need to understand a simpler concept first. For example, why teach long division when a child does not know their multiplication tables and still counts on their fingers. Once a child understands the first, simpler concept, the more advanced concept will be much easier to grasp.
- Feedback is essential. Grading follows A+, A, A- , B+, B, B- , C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F not 1, 2, 3, or Outstanding, Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory.
- Not everyone can be a winner all the time. Follow a sometimes you win, sometimes you lose approach. Through this philosophy, kids learn to compete in a healthy way and to earn their accomplishments. Kids learn that the world is not fair and that everything has to be earned.
- Learn to make no excuses and to overcome circumstances.
- Being a good member of the family means practicing camaraderie, generosity, gratitude and self control, and these values mean putting meaning and purpose into all we do.
- Think out of the box
- Kids develop lifelong relationships with mentors/teachers/coaches. Team Third Law’s After School program becomes a second home, and the teachers and coaches become role models who play an active role in the children’s lives through major transitions, unlike any other teacher in school or coach in a seasonal sport.
- Respect authority figures such as parents, teachers, officers of the law. Learning that, for example, even they dislike their teacher, they still have to do as the teacher says to pass the class and move on to the next grade.
- “Yes sir, no sir, yes ma’am, no ma’am” respectful manners and ways of speaking
- Different classes are decided by academic level, not by grade or age
Third Law’s After School Program is designed for parents who are looking to give their child an edge in today’s society, who do not want to rely on the public education system to educate their children. We are committed to improving every aspect of the program every year, giving parents mopre benefits and value for every dollar they invest in their kids.